Saturday, February 10, 2024

IT'S ALL DONE WITH MIRRORS!


My performances are not always presented on stages in theatrical settings. When I accept a booking, part of the challenge (and part of the fun!) is adapting what I do to a variety of different spaces, including meeting rooms, offices, school halls and even in lounge rooms of private homes.

Today's booking was a baby shower event held in a dance studio with floor to the roof MIRRORS on each wall. I try not to give away any secrets on this page...... but obviously some effects in magic are only deceptive when viewed from the front. So I was very careful to set myself up in the right spot, and use my body and misdirection to keep the magic looking magical. It all went smoothly and I'm confident that nothing was given away.

There was a Hunter Valley Conjurer named George Woodcock who was around before my time, but I feel as if I knew him through many stories shared with me by his Daughter (the late Ruth Bailey) and Grandson Mark. Woodcock bosted on his advertising that he performed a sleight of hand act in a Boxing Ring! I'm sure that most Muggles (non magic folks / laymen) probably didn't understand or appreciate what an achievement it was to have a magic act that looked "magical" when presented "in the round". 

No comments:

Post a Comment